Plastic Packaging Tax and circular economy
Goal of the Plastic Packaging Tax is directing behaviour towards reducing use of single-use plastics and help boost the circular economy. The Plastic Packaging Tax will serve as an instrument to encourage the use of recycled rather than new plastic by levying single-use plastics produced or imported.
What you should know
- Date: The tax will come into force April 1, 2022.
- Registration threshold: A registration threshold of 10.000 kg of plastic packaging, manufactured or imported into the United Kingdom on an annual basis, will be applicable for the UK Plastic Packaging Tax. In case your company is under the threshold, there is no need to register for the tax. However, record keeping on plastics will be essential.
- Scope: The Plastic Packaging Tax applies to manufacturers and/or importers of plastic packaging components containing less than 30% recycled material.
- Reporting obligations: The reporting obligation frequency set for the plastic tax is quarterly. The first reporting period in 2022 is from April 1, 2022 – June 30,2022.
- Charge: The applicable rate will be £ 200, - per tonne of chargeable plastic packaging components.
Please note: Record keeping is imperative: In case you are not able to present evidence on the 30% rule, it will be assumed that plastic packaging does not meet the 30% recycled content criterion and is therefore liable for the tax.
Pincvision’s EPR Reporting Services
Pincvision offers comprehensive environmental reporting services to provide an efficient and compliant, outsourced declaration process. This way you compliantly meet all Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) obligations set by European Directives. Not only for packaging, but also for WEEE reporting (2012/19/EC) and Battery reporting (2006/66/EC).
Questions regarding the UK plastic packaging tax?
Do you need a service provider helping you to comply with this new packaging tax in the UK? Or do you require expertise in setting up an EPR process to achieve 94/62/EC-compliant reporting for packaging throughout the EU?
Please get in touch with us and learn more about our EPR reporting services. Call us via +31(0)88-4321800, send an email to email@example.com or fill in the form at the bottom of this page and we will get in touch with you.
Interested in our approach regarding your EPR reporting obligations? Let Pincvision take care of this.
Our team will gladly assist you in this. Fill in the form and we will contact you shortly.
- Pincvision Headquarter
- Terborgseweg 102
- 7005 BC Doetinchem
- The Netherlands
- Pincvision UK Ltd.
- Unit 5 Lancaster Way
- SG18 8YL London
- United Kingdom