Germany: changes in WEEE financial guarantee 2017
The national register for waste electric equipment (stiftung ear) changes the relevant parameters for the calculation of the financial guarantee amount as of 1 January 2017. The guarantee provides stiftung ear with an additional level of comfort that the compliance costs will be repaid in the event that the producer would not be able to fulfill the contractual obligation.
The changes are a result of the analysis of a survey held in July 2016. German producers were questioned about the following topics:
- Expected return rate in %
- Estimated average product life in months
- Expected disposal costs in €/t
The outcome of the survey has led to a revision of the financial guarantee per 2017. The impact of the changes differ per product category, for example:
- For product category 3.2 “Personal Printers” the financial guarantee amount will be about half of the guarantee of 2016 (with the same planned quantity).
- For Product category 5.1.2 “Lamps except gas discharge lamps” the financial guarantee amount will increase.
An overview with the new parameters can be found on the site of Bitkom, market leader in Germany providing insolvency-proof guarantees.
What does this mean
Producers need to make sure to inform Bitkom about the planned quantities for 2017 before the end of 2016, to ensure the financial guarantee has been arranged and avoid non-compliance. Pincvision supports and pro-actively advises its customers through this entire process.
Interested in learning more about our transparent approach to handling your environmental compliance, or about one of our other services? Please feel free to contact us.